Put Together Your Winter Readiness Kit
According to www.ready.gov, the first step in preparing for the winter is to put together a winter readiness plan, which includes an emergency kit to keep in your home. Once you create your winter emergency kit, you can store it year after year. You should go through your emergency kit annually to check for expired goods, and make sure important items still are operational.
For basic winter needs, it is a good idea to stock up with items to stay safe around your property.
- Rock salt or other more environmentally friendly ice melting products.
- Playground sand for added traction on walkways and steps.
- Snow shovels or other snow removal equipment like extra brooms or window scrapers for your car.
- Extra heating fuel such as dry seasoned wood for your fireplace or fuel for space heaters.
Our customer service professionals at Ace Hardware located in Cape St. Clair, MD, recommend a variety of items needed most in treacherous winter weather, such as batteries and candles. We have years of experience aiding our customers on how to prepare for unexpected winter weather. Our store also has an entire department dedicated to helping folks put together the perfect winter readiness kit, making it easier for our customers to gather the emergency items they need.
It is best to have a large storage container with all the items in one location, especially in the case of a power outage.
- Batteries in various sizes
- Battery operated radio
- First-aid kit
- Fire extinguisher
- Matches or lighters
- Disposable plates, cups and utensils
- Non-electric can opener
- Paper towels and disinfecting wipes
When a winter storm is forecasted, it is important to stock up on necessary items, in case the power should go out. These products can be stored for future use.
- Extra infant formula and diapers
- Medical prescriptions and extra prescription glasses or contacts
- Canned or non-perishable food and healthy snacks
- Bottled water to include a gallon per person per expected day without power
- Pet food and supplies
- Extra sets of clothing for everyone
- Cash on hand, especially if stores are effected in the area
- Extra blankets or sleeping bags
- Activities and books for the kids
Launched in February 2003, Ready is a national public service advertising (PSA) campaign designed to educate and empower Americans to prepare for and respond to emergencies including natural and man-made disasters. Their goal is to get the public involved and ultimately to increase the level of basic preparedness across the nation.
Stop by your local Ace Hardware if you have any questions regarding assembling your winter readiness kit. Here in Cape St. Clair, where winter weather can unexpectedly change, you can trust our customer service professionals to assist you in being prepared for the unpredictable. Customer service is our number one priority, making us the best hardware store in Annapolis.
Stop in and see why Cape Ace is “The Place!”